* The Handmaiden is a 2016 South Korean erotic psychological thriller film directed by Park Chan-wook(Oldboy, Stoker) and starring Kim Min-hee, Kim Tae-ri, Ha Jung-woo and Cho Jin-woong. It is inspired from the novel Fingersmith by Welsh writer Sarah Waters, with the setting changed from Victorian era Britain to Korea under Japanese colonial rule. The film was selected to compete for the Palme d'Or at the 2016 Cannes Film Festival. The Handmaiden has been met with critical acclaim. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a rating of 95%, based on 149 reviews.
- Release date: 22 May 2017
- 3 Discs DVD
- High-quality Full-slip
- 3 Panels Digipak
- 80p Photobook
Video - 2.39:1 MPEG2 / 480p / 29.97fps (NTSC)
Audio - Korean Dolby Digital 5.1ch
Subtitles - Korean / English
Region Code - 3 (NOT region free)
Running time - 144min (Theatrical) / 168min (Extended)
Special Features: (Warning: No English subtitles)
1) Audio commentary track with Director Park Chan-wook, Film Critic Kim Hye-ri (Theatrical Version)
2) Audio commentary track with Director Park Chan-wook, Kim Tae-ri, Ha Jung-woo, Jo Jin-woong, Yoon Suk-chan (Extended Version)
3) The Spot Documentary
5) Making the Film
Storyline: 1930s Korea, in the period of Japanese occupation, a new girl (Sookee) is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress (Hideko) who lives a secluded life on a large countryside estate with her domineering Uncle (Kouzuki). But the maid has a secret. She is a pickpocket recruited by a swindler posing as a Japanese Count to help him seduce the Lady to elope with him, rob her of her fortune, and lock her up in a madhouse. The plan seems to proceed according to plan until Sookee and Hideko discover some unexpected emotions. Written by CJ Entertainment
* Some images are not an actual photograph of the product but from an artist rendering impression. These images will also look different from the actual product.
Further, the colors on your computer monitor may differ slightly from actual product color, which depends on your monitor settings. We strive to ensure that the photo images are to be as close to the actual product as possible. We thank you for your understanding.